The Type 1 Diabetes Run Across America
The Plan: Run Across America—Solo.
On Saturday, February 1, 2020 I started east from Newport Beach, CA, planning to run 2830 miles in less than 100 days and planning to reach the Florida Space Coast in May 2020, supported by my wife/crew chief driving our support van.
After 51 days and 1241 miles and a week away from the run due to the loss of my dad, I halted on March 23, 2020 due to the COVID pandemic. I restarted the Texas segment on September 24 and on October 18, I completed the Texas portion of the route and paused again at the Texas/Arkansas border due to COVID spikes.
I'm tentatively planning to restart in late February/early March 2021 depending on the COVID situation at that time.
I'll then spend ~35 days crossing Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and Florida, completing the entire run in Indiatlantic, FL near Melbourne.
My route is shown below.
Type 1 Diabetic Transcontinental Crossings
Only two Type 1 diabetic individuals are known to have crossed the US solo on foot. Doug Masiuk ran 3400 miles across the US in roughly 217 days, averaging 16 miles/day, from May 20, 2012 to December 23, 2012.
Five years later, 10-year old Type 1 Noah Barnes and his family walked 4240 miles in roughly 343 days, averaging 12 miles/day, from Key West to Blaine WA between January 1, 2017 and December 9, 2017, setting the record for the youngest person to cross the US on foot.
Since the Type 1 Diabetes Run Across America began Feb 1, 2020, we've had two "COVID pauses": in March and October 2020. Tom Petty was right: the waiting is the hardest part!
Thanks to all of you who have watched and waited.
When will the Type 1 Diabetes Run Across Texas pass through my town?
Towns & Dates
|Tue 3/2/21||Texarkana||Lewisville AR|
|Wed 3/3/21||Lewisville AR||Magnolia AR|
|Thu 3/4/21||Magnolia AR||El Dorado AR|
|Fri 3/5/21||El Dorado AR||Hamburg AR|
|Sat 3/6/21||Hamburg AR||Lake Village AR|
|Sun 3/7/21||Lake Village AR||Indianola MS|
|Mon 3/8/21||Indianola MS||Greenwood MS|
|Tue 3/9/21||Greenwood MS||Winona MS|
|Wed 3/10/21||Winona MS||Eupora MS|
|Thu 3/11/21||Eupora MS||Starkville MS|
|Fri 3/12/21||Starkville MS||Columbus MS|
|Sat 3/13/21||Columbus MS||Reform AL|
|Sun 3/14/21||Reform AL||Tuscaloosa AL|
|Mon 3/15/21||Tuscaloosa AL||Centreville AL|
|Tue 3/16/21||Centreville AL||Billingsley AL|
|Wed 3/17/21||Billingsley AL||Montgomery AL|
|Sat 3/20/21||Montgomery AL||Troy Al|
|Sun 3/21/21||Troy AL||Ozark AL|
|Mon 3/22/21||Ozark AL||Dothan AL|
|Tue 3/23/21||Dothan AL||Jakin GA|
|Wed 3/24/21||Jakin GA||Bainbridge GA|
|Thu 3/25/21||Bainbridge GA||Tallahassee FL|
|Fri 3/26/21||Tallahassee FL||Waukeenah FL|
|Sat 3/27/21||Waukeenah FL||Perry FL|
|Sun 3/28/21||Perry FL||Tennille FL|
|Mon 3/29/21||Tennille FL||Chiefland FL|
|Tue 3/30/21||Chiefland FL||Dunnellon FL|
|Thu 4/1/21||Dunnellon FL||Bushnell FL|
|Fri 4/2/21||Bushnell FL||Clermont FL|
|Sat 4/3/21||Clermont FL||Walt Disney World|
|Sun 4/4/21||Walt Disney World||Kissimmee/St. Cloud FL|
|Mon 4/5/21||Kissimmee/St. Cloud FL||Melbourne/Indialantic FL|
More Info About The Route & Transcontinental Runs
History of Transcontinental Crossings
Only a few hundred people have ever crossed across the United States ocean-to-ocean at any speed since 1918, the first year paved roads connected the American coasts.
In fact, many trans-con runners and walkers still use the remnants of the 100-year-old Bankhead Highway/Dixie Overland Highway for transcontinental runs, as it was the first all-season transcontinental highway.
Roadside America is like nothing else! Our less-traveled route includes:
- Rice, CA's famous "shoe fence" and faraway-to-everywhere sign
- Vidal Junction, CA's "last chance gas" -- the most expensive gallon of gas you'll probably buy in the US
- Phoenix and Scottsdale's famous spas
- The desolation of Arizona's Mojave and Sonoran deserts
- El Paso's alligator sculptures
- Long-abandoned motels, cafes, and bus stations in west Texas recalling turn-of-the-century salt mining operations
- Guadalupe Pass, the tallest point in Texas
- Potassium mines and uranium enrichment facilities of south and eastern New Mexico
- Loraine, TX's surreal abandoned downtown, where mature trees have grown straight up through old storefronts
- Sulphur Springs, TX's glass restrooms and Monty Python Silly Walks crosswalk
- The small-town charm and natural beauty of southern Arkansas
- The beautiful Mississippi River crossing in Greenville, MS
- Leland, MS, "birthplace" of Kermit the Frog
- BB King's hometown of Itta Bena, MS and location of the famous blues "crossroads"
- Rural Alabama's roadside scrap metal, pecan, and fruit stands
- Florida's fish camps
- Dunnellon, FL's statue of the Blues Brothers
- The only pedestrian-safe roads into the Magic Kingdom (hint: it's near cast parking)
- And a final run to the finish over Melbourne, FL's beautifully scenic pedestrian bridge to the Atlantic Ocean's beaches
It promises to be one heck of a trip.